The Colours of Infinity
The Beauty and Power of Fractals
Arthur C. Clarke presents this unusual documentary on the mathematical discovery of the Mandelbrot Set (M-Set) in the visually spectacular world of fractal geometry. This show relates the science of the M-Set to nature in a way that seems to identify the hand of God in the design of the universe itself. Dr. Mandelbrot in 1980 discovered the infinitely complex geometrical shape called the Mandelbrot Set using a very simple equation with computers and graphics.
The Colours of Infinity celebrates the discovery of the Mandelbrot Set – one of the most profound and remarkable events in the history of mathematics. The programme explores the revolutionary world of Fractal Geometry – its far-reaching and often unexpected implications – its powerful and revolutionary applications. The programme is presented by Sir Arthur C. Clarke. From his adopted home in Sri Lanka, Clarke leads us on a voyage of exploration into the strange and stunningly beautiful universe of the infinite Mandelbrot Set and to an understanding of the simple process that leads to its creation. He takes us on into the world of Fractal Geometry, showing the breadth and depth of the radical new ideas of today’s Fractal Geometers. Clarke introduces contributions from Professor Benoît Mandelbrot, who tells the story of his discovery and looks at the effect it has had on the world. Professor Ian Stewart, author of Does God Play Dice? and head of the Maths Department at Warwick University, adds his deep insights into the Mandelbrot Set and the beautifully simple equation that gives birth to it. Dr. Michael Barnsley, developer of Fractal compression and enhancement techniques, shows how he puts the new Geometry to work. The legendary Professor Stephen Hawking also puts in a brief, but notable, appearance!
- Pink Floyd – Fractals – Outtake (1991/93)
- Pink Floyd – The Colours of Infinity (Part VII) 1993/95
- Pink Floyd – The Colours Of Infinity (Part VI) 1993/95
- David Gilmour – Colours of Infinity Medley
- David Gilmour – The Colors Of Infinity
- DAVID GILMOUR: SPECIALE “THE COLOURS OF INFINITY” – 1995
- Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour Composes a Soundtrack to Arthur C. Clarke’s Documentary Fractals: The Colors of Infinity
- Arthur C. Clarke Narrates Film on Mandelbrot’s Fractals; David Gilmour Provides the Soundtrack
- Arthur C. Clarke Presents the Colors of Infinity